Click Here For Portfolio Review And Live Consultation

How To Make Money Selling Art On Second Life

I usually post on Thursdays, but I just couldn't contain myself about SL. On Thursday, I will continue with my regular series of posts.
I’ve recently embarked on a journey through an incredible virtual art community unlike anything I’ve experienced online. Pardon me for being behind on this trend. I am in my 40’s now! Thanks to some comprehensive articles in ArtCalendar Magazine about the virtual world Second Life, I’ve discovered one of the coolest things that I’ve seen in a while.
For those unfamiliar with SL, it’s a virtual world with a micro economy where you can do just about anything with amazing realism. Residents use Linden dollars to buy and sell things ($L1000 = $4.16US).

Project Z Gallery - one of the best in Second Life


There are many artists and entertainers that are making some good real world dollars in Second Life, and a SL virtual real estate developer has been reported to have made over a million in real U.S. dollars selling real estate and buildings on second life.


Lisa and I playing music on the beach in Second Life


Originally, I was attracted to it for the publicity and marketing opportunities, but nowI am completely blown away by it, and have fallen in, definitely for the next couple of days. I’ve already built a portfolio book and have gotten commitments from four galleries to do a show in the near future, so I’m on my way. I just have to remember to refrain from spending too much time “inworld” flying around and having fun.

Creating a virtual assemblage of my paintings in Second Life
I have collectors all over the world: France, U.K., Luxembourg, Netherlands, and throughout the U.S. and Canada, many of which have never been to a show of my work at a gallery. SL presents a mind-boggling opportunity for them to come to a virtual show, see the latest work, chat with the artists and other collectors and have some great virtual cheese and wine. I’ll let you know when I’ve set the date for the next exhibit. If any of you are Residents of Second Life, please let me know your identity, so I can add you as a friend and make sure you’ll get an invite to my first truly virtual exhibit.
Warren Keating is an artist living in Los Angeles. For more information, go to WarrenKeating.com.


2 comments:

  1. Love to see this discussion! It’s great to see you all working through the issues and also, it’s great to see recommendations for testing. In the end, it’s what your actual users do and prefer that should be your biggest driver in making these decisions.
    Great article and discussion!
    online marketing

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete